WTF: Snoop Dogg Becomes Snoop Lion

Category: Music,News
Snoop Dogg - Snoop Lion - 2012

…in case ya didn’t already hear:
NEW YORK AP — Snoop Dogg says he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in January, is changing his name to Snoop Lion and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."The artist known for gangster rap is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall.The West Coast rapper held a news conference in New York on Monday. Later he played five songs for a small crowd, including one called "No Guns Allowed." It features his daughter.The album will be followed with a documentary of the same name. It features him making music and will include some personal elements of his life, a producer of the film said. It will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.
via Yahoo! Music

What the fuck?! Snoop has been putting out woman-bashing shit since ever since…seems insane that one trip to Jamaica could convince him that all that slackness was actually fucked up. I watched that movie Mac And Devin Go To High School the other day and it reminded me how fucked up Snoop’s celebrity image is. He’s got a family and wife, but the ‘Snoop character’ is all about shittin on chicks, treatin em like prostitutes and what not. Pimps up, hoes down…?
It’s cool that he’s finally realizing those type of lyrics are wack and teach kids to be retarded; ‘tryin to be a pimp like Snoop!’. Let’s see if he can put out anything decent on the conscious tip. I mean, who don’t dig Snoop’s voice?

No comments

10 Comments so far

1. TrendyInk August 2nd, 2012 4:08 pm

Talk about 180 degree changes…from pimp to conscious?

2. Erik E Warns August 2nd, 2012 4:12 pm

I’ll check it out for sure. It seems like this kind of change is inevitable for a lot of rappers. When you are young you just want drugs, girls and did I mention drugs. Then you get older and have kids. I wonder what Eazy E would have been like today.

3. TrendyInk August 2nd, 2012 4:15 pm

Snoop has been married with kids for a loooong time. That didn’t change him. Jamaica did.

4. Erik E Warns August 2nd, 2012 11:22 pm

I was just saying that it’s funny to see how some of these guys change over time. I’m sure Jamaica was a big influence but I doubt it’s the only reason he has changed. For years he has been doing community work with young kids like coaching baseball teams etc. Either way it’s nice to see and it should be interesting to hear what kind of music he makes now.

5. TrendyInk August 3rd, 2012 12:06 am

He said he was ‘reborn’ and ‘Bob Marley reincarnated’, dude.

6. Erik E Warns August 3rd, 2012 12:37 am

Again you have a guy that has changed over time. Obviously Jamaica had a huge impact on him. Just saying that for years he has been mellowing out and this was probably the final straw. Not saying anything against the power of the all mighty Jamaica.

7. TrendyInk August 3rd, 2012 2:00 pm

I’m just saying…his latest tracks have been lyrically shit-tastic, womanizer anthems, like he’s always been known for. His latest Movie roll (referenced in the post), it’s all ‘pimps up, hoe’s down’. Musically, I have not seen him mellowing out at all until now. But…that’s my perspective.

8. TrendyInk August 3rd, 2012 2:01 pm

I personally will continue to live the ‘pimps up, hoes down’ lifestyle fo everrrrrr. :O

9. Erik E Warns August 3rd, 2012 3:23 pm

Ah my bad. You were talking musically and I was talking more family life type stuff. Makes sense. I do want you to continue the pimps up hoes down lifestyle. You are our very own Mr White Folks.

10. TrendyInk August 3rd, 2012 3:30 pm